July 2, 2007 Opportunities to Play
The National League of Cities is partnering with a nonprofit organization called KaBOOM! to help create recreation opportunities for kids. Earlier this year, KaBOOM! launched its Playful City USA program to encourage cities to take the initiative to make room for “play” on their community agendas. To gain national recognition as a Playful City USA, communities must fulfill these five commitments:
• create a local play board, task force, or commission;
• design an annual action plan for play;
• conduct a playspace audit;
• outline the financial investment in play for the current fiscal year; and
• proclaim and celebrate an annual “play day.”
KaBOOM! is looking for communities nationwide to recognize as benchmark leaders. If your city or town is interested you can access an application here.